Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
Courtesy of the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program
Here’s a healthy twist on a fast food favorite! Whole grains are hiding in these oven-baked chicken strips breaded with whole-wheat flour and oats, for a tasty crunch kids (and adults!) will love.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, visible fat removed chicken breasts cut into 1’’ strips (or chicken tenderloins)
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp low-fat, low-sodium, grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 1 lb fresh green beans (washed, stems discarded)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp minced garlic (from jar)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a plate or shallow dish, combine flour and pepper.
- Pour milk into a second shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, combine parmesan, oats, garlic/onion powder and paprika/parsley (optional: pulse oat mixture in food processor for 20 second for a finer ‘breading’).
- One at a time, dip chicken strips into flour and turn to coat. Then dip in milk, and then oat mixture, turning until well coated.
- Place coated strips on to prepared baking sheet.
- Once all strips are on the baking sheet give a light spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown and cooked through. (Optional: If you prefer darker brown ‘crisply’ tenders, turn on the oven’s broiler for the last 2 minutes but keep an eye on the tenders so they don’t burn!)
- To prepare beans: In a 2-quart microwave-safe dish, place beans, water, garlic and pepper.
- Cover and microwave on high until beans are crisp-tender (6-8 minutes).
- Drain excess liquid.
Yield: 4 servings
Calories 253 per serving Total Fat 4.5 g Saturated Fat 1.0 g Trans Fa t0.0 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.0 g Cholesterol 77 mg Sodium 205 mg Potassium 774 mg Total Carbohydrate 24 g Dietary Fiber 5 g Sugars 4.9 g Protein 30 g Calcium 99 mg