Now you can eat healthy without sacrificing flavor, thanks to this Heart Strong Southwest Power Bowl. Topped with either Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce or Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, this bowl will soon be one of your family favorites.
Recipe courtesy of Kailo Nutrition
Total Time: Prep 20 min, cook 20 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small potato or starchy vegetable like butternut squash, steamed, baked, or microwaved.
- 1 cup whole grain such as brown rice, quinoa, farro, amaranth, etc.
- ½ cup of vegetables of choice, sautéed (onions, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms)
- Taco Seasoning (garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- Handful of leafy greens of choice (spinach, romaine, kale, collards, etc.)
- Lime juice, squeezed is preferred
- Heat sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add vegetables and stir until slightly translucent and softened. Add desired spices and a little bit of vegetable broth and heat until fully sautéed. Add more broth as necessary.
- Microwave potato until done and then chop into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients including sautéed vegetables.
- Add dressings of choice to bowl and enjoy!
Dressing #1: Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup regular yellow mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (or less, depending on spice preference)
- 2-4 Tbsp. water
Add all ingredients to food processor and process until fully mixed. Alternatively, add to bowl and whisk until well mixed.
Dressing #2: Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ½ cup raw, unsalted, cashews
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 small handful cilantro (~ ¼ cup)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- If you do not have a high-powered blender, soak cashews in water for at least two hours or over night. Drain, and then use ¼-1/2 cup water when making recipe
- Add all ingredients to blender and process until fully mixed.