If pumpkin pie is a must for the holidays, this version fulfills that holiday tradition without derailing your meal plan.
Recipe courtesy of EatingWell.
Prep time: 35 min
Ready in: 1 hr 45 min
Yield: 10 servings
Calories: 187 cals
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons fat – free milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups evaporated milk
- To prepare pastry: Stir together flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add oil and milk all at once to the flour mixture. Stir lightly with a fork. Form into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. On a well-floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten the dough; roll from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer the pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease the pastry into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch. Trim the pastry to ½ inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under the extra pastry; flute or crimp edge as desired. Do not prick. Line the pastry with a double thickness of heavy foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 5 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack while preparing the filling. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- To prepare filling: Combine pumpkin, sugar, honey, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add egg and vanilla. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour the filling into the baked pastry shell. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil. Bake until the filling appears set, 40 to 45 minutes (the edges of the filling may crack slightly).
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours. If desired, serve with dessert topping.
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Per serving: 187 calories; 6 g fat(1 g sat); 2 g fiber; 29 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 56 mcg folate; 1 mg cholesterol; 14 g sugars; 6,853 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 81 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 108 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (137% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: ½ starch, 1½ other carb, 1 fat